Saturday, June 21, 2008

Father of Lights! [2]

I got an insight into a verse of scripture during worship last Sunday. It is in James chapter 1 verses 16-17. The Amplified version of the passage says

16. Do not be misled, my beloved brethren.

17. Every good gift and every perfect (free, large, full) gift is from above; it comes down from the Father of all [that gives] light, in [the shining of] Whom there can be no variation [rising or setting] or shadow cast by His turning [as in an eclipse].

Let us note the following from these verses.

a) The Holy Spirit through James speaks to us as those whom he cares deeply about - beloved brethren. He warns us not to be deceived, to miss the mark, to go wrong in our thinking, as will happen if we think differently from what he is about to say.

b) All good things come from God. Peace, joy, a good wife/husband and family, wealth and much more. If it is good and beneficial to you, it came from God.

c) God is the Father (or Source) of all light - physical and spiritual. Thus, insight, knowledge, revelation and truth originate in God. James then tells us the things that DON'T originate in God.

d) Variation, doubt, inconsistencies, unreliability - these cannot be found in him. Everything else will cast a shadow. God will not, because He is Light itself. We must therefore view all things that happen to us, all news on the radio and TV, all our concerns for the future in the Light of Him. They are but shadows. He is Light. Amen!

This encourages me a lot, my friends because we are in times of economic, financial and political uncertainty in South Africa, where I live, and the world today. The verse encourages me because I know that if I keep holding on to God and trusting in him, not being swayed by the fear and near panic in the SA atmosphere, God will keep the good things that he has given me constant, and he will keep adding more, because He cannot do otherwise. He is the Father of lights!

Another verse says "His compassions.....are new every morning. Great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him." Lamentations 3:22-24 (Never thought such good news would be found in a book called Lamentations!

So friend, what is your soul saying today? Let it say "God is good and with him, I and my household are blessed". Keep well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home